There are two fitness facilities available for medical students use. The Scott Hall Fitness Room is located on the medical school campus and the Mort Harris Fitness and Recreation Center is located on the main campus of WSU.
Scott Hall Fitness Room
The fitness room is located in the basement of Scott Hall in room 208.
Locker rooms and showers are also available (Men’s, Room 114. Women’s Room 118).
Hours and Access
Accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, using your OneCard.
- Restricted to WSU SOM students
- Must have completed waiver form on file in the Office of Medical Education
- 2 Elliptical Trainers
- 2 Treadmills
- Upright Exercise Bike
- Stair Stepper
- 2 Adjustable Benches
- Flat Bench
- Power Cage
- Olympic Weight Bar, Curl Bar
- 255 lb. Plate Set
- 2 – 90 lb. Dumbbell Set
- Wall Mounted Pull Up Bar
- Leg Raise/Dip Chair
- 2 Exercise Balls
- 6 Small, 3 Large Step Platforms and Extensions
- Balance Trainer
- Floor Mats
These policies have been designed to facilitate student use of the fitness center to its fullest. We hope to create a comfortable atmosphere for you to relax and enjoy your workout.
- In case of EMERGENCY, please call Public Safety at (313) 577-2222 from the telephone located in Room 108 or the next nearest telephone that is located on the first floor, just east of the guard desk. Please note, there are three different phone lines set up including a campus and public phone
- Observe all posted signs and equipment warnings.
- Safe and proper use of equipment is required at all times. Including but not limited to:
- Not lifting heavy weights alone.
- Not dropping weights.
- Racking weights after use.
- Cleaning equipment with wipes after use.
- Actions that threaten the safety and well-being of yourself or others will not be tolerated.
- Shirt and athletic shoes must be work at all times. For health and safety reasons, the following is not permitted:
- Spiked shoes
- Work boots
- Flip-flop shoes
- Clothing with rivets
- Wallet chains
- Neither Wayne State University nor the School of Medicine is responsible for personal belongings lost in or stolen from the fitness room.
- Use of the Fitness Room is restricted to WSU SOM students who have completed the WSU SOM waiver form on file in the Office of Medical Education
- Absolutely no food is allowed in the Fitness Room. Drinks must be in closed containers.
- During peak hours, please:
- Limit time on cardio machines to 30 minutes if others are waiting
- No super-setting: allow others to work in on weights between sets if they are waiting.
- Please report any equipment problems to:
- Scott Nelsen
- (313) 577-1431
The Mort Harris RFC is in the center of main campus, directly across from the Student Center Building and across the mall from the Undergraduate Library (view map).
Parking for the Mort Harris RFC is conveniently located in structures 2 and 5 on Anthony Wayne Drive. Metered parking is also available along Cass between Warren and Palmer and on Warren between Cass and the Lodge service drive.
- 78,000 square foot open fitness area with a variety of cardio, selectorized and free weight equipment
- 30-foot high climbing wall
- Full-size gymnasium with 2 basketball courts and option for volleyball
- 3-lane walking track
- Aerobics/group fitness area
Campus Recreation has a lot to offer students including fitness classes, personal training, intramural and club sports, and numerous other facilities. Please visit Mort Harris RFC for additional information, including Fitness Center hours.